School of Foreign Languages of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) is founded based on the former Russian Teaching Group of Public Course Teaching-research Office of Huazhong College of Technology in 1953. During its development history, it has gone through several reforms which lead to its faster development, higher standard, larger scale as well as stronger strength, achieving splendid achievements.
In 1959, the Huazhong College of Technology established the department of basic courses with several divisions including Foreign Language Office, which consisted of Russian group and English group, later Japanese group added.
In 1980, based on the above three teaching-research groups, the Department of Foreign Languages was set up.
In September, 1981, the Department of Foreign Languages recruited the first undergraduates majoring in English for Science and Technology.
In September, 1988, the first students majoring in Japanese were admitted.
In May, 2000, the former Huazhong University of Technology, Tongji Medical University, Wuhan Urban Construction Institute and Cadre Administration Department of Science and Technology Ministry were integrated into HUST. Meanwhile, the former Department of Foreign Languages of Huazhong University of Technology, the Department of Foreign Languages of Tongji Medical University and the former Foreign Teaching-research Office of Wuhan Urban Construction Institute were merged into the Foreign Language Department of HUST.
In October, 2005, the Department of Foreign Languages was renamed School of Foreign Languages of HUST with the Department of English, the Department of Japanese, and the Department of German as well as College English Teaching Center, Voice Learning Demonstration Center, Foreign Language Testing Center and Voice Laboratory.
In March, 2009, the Department of Translating and Interpreting was established.
In October, 2011, the Department of French was set up.