Associate Professor of School of Foreign Language
Academic Areas: Blended e-learning, Second Language Acquisition, Computer assisted Language teaching, Foreign Language learning anxiety, Demotivation.
Guangying Cui is the Associate Professor of School of Foreign Languages at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). Dr. Cui began her teaching and research in Huazhong University of Science and Technology from 1992, and now serves as a Vice Chairman of the Autonomous Learning Center in this university. Her research interests are in blended e-learning, Computer assisted Language teaching, Learning Strategies, Demotivation and Language Fossilization. She was awarded 1st prize in 1st session of University –Teaching- Competition in 2013; she won the 2010 National Courseware Competition Award and published more than 20 articles in the leading journals both domestically and abroad from 1998. She also published 15 books including New Active English—Intensive Reading for University Students (textbook), Reading Guide for Francis Bacon’s works (2003) and Funny English World (2000), etc. Dr. Cui taught on- line College English courses for more than 1,0000 students synchronously (per lecture) in China from 2006 to 2008. She also teaches College English courses including Intensive reading, Listening & speaking, Newspaper-reading, Learning English through Media, Public Speaking, Highlights of Chinese Culture, IELTS Preparation Courses and Advanced Oral English courses for undergraduates of the highest level in HUST. She was sent to Australia and Croatia to work by Chinese government.
2001.9--2003.6 M.A., Linguistics, specialization in English Applied linguistics, Huazhong
University of Science & technology.
2010.3-2012.7 Ph.D., Philology, specialization in Second language acquisition, University of
1992.7- 2014.10 Huazhong University of Science and Technology –Lecturer
2003 Sent by Chinese government to have academic exchanges in Australia
2010-2012 Sent to Croatia by Chinese government
2014.11- present Huazhong University of Science and Technology –Associate Professor
Refereed Journal Papers
• An Experimental Research on Blended Learning in the Development of Listening and
Speaking Skills in China, Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies. 32:4,
SSCI. Pp 447-460, DOI: 10.2989/16073614.2014.999989
• A Study on Croatian Chinese Learners’ Demotivation, Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies. Pp19-26
• A probe into dramas in LuXun’s works, Drama Literature. Pp 83-86
• Study on Ancient Chinese Chess from Perspective of Literature, Journal of Sports Culture Guide. Pp 98-101
• Research of Sports English in Economics of Language, Huazhong University of Science and Technology Publishing House. Pp 78-82
• Sports English Research in View of Language Economics, Foreign Language Education.(9)
• The Changes of Sports Literature During the Past 30 Years Since the Reforming and Opening Policy, Journal of Beijing Sports University. Pp 92-96
• Wukong & Satan, The Science Education Article Collects.
• A survey for top students of HUST in listening Autonomous learning, Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press. Pp 48-51
• Metaphor in English Reading, Huazhong University of Science & Technology Press. Pp 68-71
• English Appositional phrases, Philosophy Research Press
• Metaphorical Thinking in the Process of Reading, Foreign Language Education(1). Pp 36-39
• The main difference between Chinese and English culture, Wuhan University of Technology Press. Pp 28-31
• The Theory and Practice of Fast-reading in English, School of Geodesy & Geomatics Press. Pp 52-55
• A probe into Teaching English Fast-reading, Urban Construction Education Press. Pp 35-38.
Published text book
• 2004 New Active English—Intensive Reading for University Students, Huazhong University of Science & Technology Press
• Blended Learning Approach in Development of Listening and Speaking Skills in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Croatia: Kolumna Press
• Reading Guide for Francis Bacon’s works, Wuhan University Press
• College English Test-Band 6 -- Reading & Translation, Geodesy & Geomatics Press
• Explaination for College English, Xinjiang University Press
Funny English World, Wuhan University Press
• English-Chinese Dictionary, Strait Literature Press
• College English Test-Band 4--Vocabulary & Structure, Strait Literature Press
• College English Test-Band 4 -- Sample writing 150, Strait Literature Press
• Appreciation of Master Pieces, Wuhan University of Technology Press
INVITED TALKS AND PRESENTATION
• Blended Learning Approach in Development of Speaking Skills in HUST, Give presentation in 2012 International Symposium on CAL L, October 18-20, Beijing, China.
• Language Learning Strategies after Xinhai Revolution in China. Invited talk by Yuan Symposium, October 6-9, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
• Chinese College Students’ Fossilization in SLA and De-fossilizing Strategies, Give presentation in Applied Linguistics Today and Perspectives, 25th International Symposium, May 12-14, Osijek, Croatia.
Awarded 1st prize in 1st session of University –Teaching- Competition in 2013;
• Awarded 2nd class for Best-Teaching-Quality prize in 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2004-2005,
2007-2008 and 2013;
• Awarded 3rd prize in “National Best Courseware-making Competition” in 2009 in China
• Promoted as excellent teacher in 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2012 in Huazhong university of
Science and Technology;
• Promoted as academic key-member in 2001 by Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
1. College English
3. On- line synchronously College English
4. Learning English through Media
5. Public Speaking in English
6. Highlights of Chinese Culture (English)
7. IELTS Preparation Courses
8. Advanced Oral English courses for undergraduates of the highest level in HUST
• The foreign language teaching policies in Croatia under the multi-lingual circumstances.
• Developing English proficiency by taking Model United Nations in 3C Union(Project Leader)
• The new combination model of autonomous learning and multi-level teaching(Project Leader)
• The research and construction of “English World” in HUST
• The teacher’s feedback in EFL writing class
• The editing and Translation for Contemporary English-American Sports Literature
• The Practice of Network – teaching in Sportsman Education