Associate Professor of School of Foreign Language
Academic Areas: lexical semantics; grammatical constructions; metaphor and metonymy; linguistic relativity; language universals and typology
Dr. Jie Huang is an associate professor in linguistics at the School of Foreign Languages in Huazhong University of Science and Technology. She got her Ph.D degree in linguistics in Shanghai International Studies University, furthered her research in Fudan University as a postdoctoral fellow afterwards, and studied in the Department of Linguistics at UC Berkeley as a visiting scholar sponsored by the China Scholarship Council. She has been to universities in the UK, Germany, the US to attend international conferences in linguistics and cognitive science. She is currently a member of the Cognitive Science Society (CSS), a member of the International Cognitive Linguistics Association (ICLA), and one of the directors of China Cognitive Linguistics Association (CCLA). Her primary research interests are semantics, cognitive linguistics, language and thought, language acquisition. She has done some studies in cognitive approaches to lexical semantics, including noun-noun compounds, atypical VO constructions, and spatial words. She has received 9 grants, including the National Social Science Foundation of China (NSSF) and the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (CPSF), and published almost twenty articles in linguistics in core journals of China Social Science Index (CSSCI), such as Foreign Language Teaching and Research, Modern Foreign Languages, Journal of Contemporary Linguistics, Foreign Languages and Their Teaching, Foreign Language Research. She has been invited to be peer reviewers of such core journals as Modern Foreign Languages and Foreign Languages and Their Teaching.
2005-2009 Shanghai International Studies University. Ph.D. in Linguistics.
(1) 2011 –present. Associate Professor, School of Foreign Languages, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
(2) 2009 –2011. Postdoctoral research fellow,College of Foreign Languages and Literature，Fudan University, Shanghai, China.
(3) 2007 – 2008. Visiting Research Student, Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics，City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Refereed Journal Papers
- Huang, Jie. A cognitive perspective to semantic interpretations of metaphtonymic noun-noun compounds in Chinese and English (Hanying yinzhuanyu mingming fuheci yuyi de renzhi yanjiu). Foreign Language Education (Waiyu Jiaoxue). 2008(4):25-29. (CSSCI)
- Shu, Dingfang & Huang, Jie. A Cognitive approach to the internal sequence and semantic changes of Chinese antonymic compounds (Hanyu fanyi fuheci gouci liju he yuyi bianhua de renzhi fenxi). Foreign Language Teaching and Research (Waiyu Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). 2008(6): 418-422. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. The cognitive motivation for the diversified semantic relations within noun-noun compounds (Mingming fuheci yuyi guanxi duoyangxing de renzhi liju ). Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies (Yuyan Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). 2008(6):1-7. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. The motivation of semantic coercion for the metonymic processing of the adverb-noun construction (Fumin jiegou zhuanyu caozuo de yuyi yazhi dongyin). Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages (Jiefangjun Waiguoyu Xueyuan Xuebao). 2009(1): 9-13. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. Book review: Creative Compounding in English (Yingyu de chuangxin fuhe shujie). Foreign Language Teaching and Research (Waiyu Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). 2009(1): 74-76. (CSSCI)
- Huang , Jie. Metonymic and Metaphorical Approaches to Atypical VO Constructions in Chinese (Dongbin feichangui dapei de zhuanyu he yinyu toushi) [J]. Journal of Tongji University (Tongji Daxue Xuebao). 2009(1): 85-90. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. The Cognitive Motivation for Semantic Extensions of IN (IN yuyi tuozhan de renzhi liju). Journal of Beijing International Studies University (Beijing Dier Waiguoyu Xueyuan Xuebao). 2009(2): 17-22.
- Huang, Jie. Semantic Representations of Chinese and English Constructions Based on Event Semantics (Shijian yuyixue lilun yu hanying jushi de yuyi biaozheng) [J]. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University (Xi’an Waiguoyu Daxue Xuebao). 2009(4).
- Huang, Jie. An Investigation into metaphorical noun-noun compounds in Chinese based on Reference Point Theory ( Jiyu canzhaodian lilun de hanyu yinyu mingmingfuheci yanjiu). Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies (Yuyan Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. On the Reference Models of Metaphtonymic Noun-Noun Compounds in Chinese and English (Lun lijie hanying yinzhuanyu mingmingfuheci de canzhao huodong moshi). Foreign Languages and Their Teaching (Waiyu yu Waiyu Jiaoxue). 2011 (2): 11-15. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. Book review: Metonymy and Metaphor in Grammar. (Yufa zhong de zhuanyu he yingyu shujie). Foreign Language Teaching and Research (Waiyu Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). 2011(6):948-953. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. Recent Developments in Cognitive Linguistics. (Guowai renzhi yuyanxue zuixin yanjiu dongtai). Modern Foreign Languages (Xiandai Waiyu). 2012 (1): 87-94. (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. Book Review: Cognitive Grammar: An Introduction. (Renzhi yufa daolun shujie). Journal of Contemporary Linguistics (Dangdai Yuyanxue). 2012(2). (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. On the Working Mechanism of the Collocations between Chi and Its Atypical Objects. (Lun dongbin feichanggui dapei de gongzuo jizhi) Foreign Language Research (Waiyu Xuekan). 2012(2). (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. A Quantitative and Qualitative Study of Chinese Metaphorical and Metonymical Noun-Noun Compounds. (Hanyu yinyu he zhuanyu mingming fuheci de dingliang dingxing yanjiu). Language Teaching and Linguistic Studies (Yuyan Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu). 2013(1). (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. A Cognitive Account of the Nouns as Adverbial Modifiers in Chinese NV Constructions (dui hanyu nv jiegou mingci zuo bini zhuangyu de renzhi jiedu) Journal of Tianjing Foreign Studies University (Tianjin Waiguoyu daxue xuebao). 2014(1).
- Huang, Jie. Semantic Networking and Subjectivity of the “chi+NP-p” Construction. (“chi+NP-p”yuyi wangluo jiangou jiqi zhuguanxing chanshi) Foreign Languages and Their Teaching (Waiyu yu waiyu jiaoxue).2015(2). (CSSCI)
- Huang, Jie. Homophones from the Perspective of Figure-Ground Organization: Suan-ni-hen. (xieyin zaoci de tuxingbeijing chanshi: yi suannihen xilie weili) Foreign Language Research (Waiyu Xuekan). 2015(4). (CSSCI)
(17) Huang, Jie. Orientational Metaphors (Kongjian Yinyu) . Wuhan: Central China Normal University Press. 2005.
Refereed International Conference Papers
- M. Feist, L. Konieczny, J. Huang. etc. 2011. UP and DOWN / GOOD and BAD: Perspectives in Context. The 5th Empirical Methods in Cognitive Linguistics (EMCL) Workshop. March 6-11, Freiburg, Germany.
- J. Huang. Foregrounding in Atypical Chinese VO Constructions: A Usage-based Analysis. The 11th International Cognitive Linguistics Conference. July 11-17, 2011, Xi'an, China.
- J. Huang. Cognitive Influences on the Interpretation of Noun-Noun Compounds: An Empirical Approach. The 4th UK Cognitive Linguistics Conference. July 10-12, 2012, London, UK.
- Undergraduates: Linguistics, Intensive Reading
- Graduates: Cognitive Linguistics
Login and edit information
Theoretical and Empirical Approaches to Noun-Noun Compounds. Principal investigator. The National Social Science Foundation of China (NSSF). 2010-2014
(2) Atypical VO Constructions in Chinese. Principal Investigator. China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (CPSF). 2009-2011
- China Cognitive Linguistics Association (Director)
- International Cognitive Science Society (Member)
- International Cognitive Linguistics Association (Member)