Professor of School of Foreign Language
Academic Areas: Contrastive Studies of English and Chinese, Translation Theories and Practice, Corpus-based Translation Studies
Qin HUANG is the Professor of Foreign Languages at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). She also directs the MTI program and Center for Translation Studies .
2003.9―2006.6 Nankai University PhD
1996.9―1999.6 Central South University M.A
1984.9—1988.6 Hubei Normal University B.A
2011.12―2012.12 University of Manchester–Visiting Scholar
2009.7―2009.8 International House London–Professional Development
2008.11— present Huazhong University of Science and Technology – Professor
2004.10―2004.12 National Chung Cheng University–Visiting Scholar
2000.1—2008.10 Huazhong University of Science and Technology–Lecturer, Associate Professor
1990.9—1991.6 Central China Normal University–Professional Development
1988.7—1999.12 Yunyang Teachers College–Assistant, Lecturer
Monograph, textbook and dictionary since 2001
1. A Comparative Study of Metadiscourse in English and Chinese News Texts. Wuhan:
Wuhan University Press, 2014.
2. An Interdisciplinary Analysis of the Chinese Translation of English News, Beijing:
Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Press, 2007.
Education Press, 2011.
4. New Textbook of English-Chinese Translation, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press,
5. College English Fast Reading(1-3) ,Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and
6. Fundamentals in Vocabulary and reading: 3000 words. Wuhan: Huazhong
University of Science and Technology Press, 2001
Articles since 2001
1. A New Perspective on the Study of Translation History, Chinese Translators
Journal, No.5, 2014. pp.57-61.
2. A New Perspective on Translation Studies in the Postcolonial Context, Foreign
Languages Research , No.6, 2014.pp.106-108.
3. A Comparative Study of the Application of Metadiscourse Between English
and Chinese News Features, Journal of Xi’an International Studies University,
4. A Comparative Study of the Use of Metadiscourse in English News Reporting
and English News Commentary, Contemporary Foreign Languages Studies,
5. A Corpus-Based Comparative Study of Metadiscourse Marker “Yuanlai” in
Hong Lou Meng and Its Two English Versions, Journal of Tianjin Foreign
Studies University, No.5, 2014.pp.22-26.
6. A Review on Translation and Literary Studies, Foreign Languages and
Translation, No.4. 2014. pp.66-71.
7. A Corpus-Based Comparative Study of Metadiscourse “Jiushi ” in Hong Lou
Meng and Its Two English Versions, Journal of Ningxia University（Humanities
＆ Social Sciences Edition）No.6, 2013.pp.129-134.
8. A Corpus-based Comparative Study of Metadiscourse “Buguo” in Hong Lou
Meng and Its Two English Versions, Foreign Language and Literature, No.5,
9 .A Review on Translation and Opposition. Foreign Languages and Translation,
10. A Review on Translation: Theory and Practice in Dialogue, East Journal of
Translation, No.6, 2013.pp.80-83.
11. On Translator’s Subjectivity in the Translation of Literary Classics from the
Perspective of Translation Aesthetics, A Dream of Red Mansions, No.3, 2013.
12. On Metadiscursive Studies: Review and Reflection. Journal of Jiangsu
University (social Science Edition), No.2, 2013.pp.97-102.
13. A Comparative Study of the Use of Metadiscourse in English and Chinese
News Commentaries, Foreign Language Research, No.1, 2012. pp.99-103
14.Analysis on Language Variations in Short Message Service: Based on Chinese
Short Message of Blessing, Journal of Dongguan Institute of Technology. No.6,
2011. pp. 44-49.
15. On Fu Lei’s Artistic Views of Translation Journal of Xi’an International
Studies University. No.1, 2010. pp.57-60
16. On the Interdisciplinary Approach to Translation Studies, Foreign Languages and Translation. No.2, 2010. pp.71-76.
17.A Corpus-Based Comparative Study of the Metadiscourse “YOU” in HONG
LOU MENG and Its Two English Versions. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University. No.3, 2010. pp.63-67
18. A Probe into Lin Shu’s Translation Ideas from the Perspective of Post-colonial
Translation Theory. Foreign Language Education. No.9, 2009. pp.155-159.
19. Relevance Theory’s Explanation on Interpretation. Foreign Language
Education. No.9, 2009. pp.148-154.
20. A Review on Discourse Markers in Native and Non-native English Discourse,
Foreign Language Teaching and Research, N0.5, 2008.pp.393-395.20．
21.On Fu Lei’s Artistic Views on Translation. Journal Xi’an International Studies
University. No.1, 2010. ISSN 1008 -4708 // CN61-1325/G4, pp.57-60
22.Translation of News from the Perspective of Critical Discourse Analysis, Foreign Languages and Their Teaching, N0.3, 2008.pp.54-58
23.On Translator’s Subjectivity in Poetry Translation from the Perspective of
Intertextuality, Journal of Sichuan International Studies University. No.5, 2007.
24.On English Teaching for the Engineering Postgraduates Based on Constructivism
Learning Theory, Higher Engineering Education,No.5,2007. pp.112-114.
25. A Good Combination of Domestication and Foreignization. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching. No.8, 2007. pp.54-57.
26. A Survey and Prospect of China’s News Translation Studies, Shanghai Journal of Translators, No.3, 2007. pp.23-27.
27.Review of Introducing Corpora in Translation Studies, Contemporary Linguistics, No.1, 2007. pp. 85-88.
28.Various Genres, Rich Contents and Different Perspectives: A Review of Apropos of Ideology, Foreign Language Education, No.5, 2006. pp.93-96.
29. An Epistemological Interpretation of Cai Yuanpei’s View of Translation, Journal of Anhui University, No.1, 2006.pp.43-46.
30. On the Function of Cognitive Environment in Interpreting Topic Relevance in a Discourse, Shandong Foreign Language Teaching Journal, No.6, 2005. pp.25-28.
31. On the Function and Translation of English Verbless Clause in Advertising Texts. Shandong Foreign Language Teaching Journal, No.6, 2003.pp.88-90
32. English Summer Camp and the Reform of College English Teaching, Research in Higher Education of Engineering, No.1,2003. pp.78-80.
33. On the Function and Translation of English Verbless Clauses in Literary and Advertising Texts. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University, No.4, 2002. pp.24-28.
34. The Cooperative Principle and Pun Ambiguity, Journal of Shanxi University, Social Science Edition, No.4, 2001. pp.98-100.
35. On Topic Relevance in View of Relevance Theory, Social Science Journal of Xiangtan University ,No.3, 2001.pp.156-158.
36. Remarks on the Function of Topic Relevance in Discourse Coherence, Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Social Science Edition, No.2, 2001. pp.113-116.
1. Excellent Postgraduate Supervisor in Huazong University of Science and
2.Excellent Member of the Communist Party in Huahzong University of Science and
3. Supervisor of Outstanding BA Dissertation of Hubei Province, 2013.
4. Supervisor of Outstanding BA Dissertation of Hubei Province, 2011.
5. Supervisor of Outstanding MA Dissertation of Hubei Province, 2010.
6. Second Prize for Excellent Teaching in Huazhong University of Science and
7. Second Prize for Excellent Teaching in Huazhong University of Science and
For MA Program
1. Approaches to Translation studies
2. Basic Translation
3. The Appreciation and Criticism of Translation
4. Translating Chinese Culture into English
5.Western Translation Theories
2. Translating Chinese Culture into English
3. Appreciation on the Excellent Translations
4. Extensive Reading
5. Readings of Western Historical Thought
1. An Empirical Study on the Management of Part-time Teachers for MTI Program, Project funded by China National Committee for MTI Education,2013.
2. A Comparative Study on Metadiscourse in News Discourses Between English and Chinese, Project funded by the Ministry of Education of China, 2010.
3. A Corpus-Based Comparative Study on the Use of Metadiscourses in Hong Lou Meng and Its Two English Versions. Project funded by Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2010.
4. A Corpus –Based Comparative Study of Discourse Markers in News between English and Chinese, Key project funded by Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2008.
5. A Corpus –Based Study of News Translation from an Interdisciplinary Perspective , Project funded by the Department of Education of Hubei Province, 2007.
6. On the Relation between Ideology and News Translation, Project supported by funds of Social Science of Hubei Province, 2007.
7. A Critical Study on the Chinese Translation of English News, Key project funded by Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2005.
8. An Investigation of Topic in English Discourse, Project funded by Huazhong
University of Science and Technology, 2001.