Associate Professor of School of Foreign Language
Academic Areas: Contemporary English Literature, World and Cosmopolitan Writing, Literary Translation
Wang Weiping is an associate professor of the Department of English Language at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). Her research interest extends from contemporary English literature, esp., the writing by J.M. Coetzee, cosmopolitan writing to translation studies of Late Qing period. Her current interest is focused on the cultural criticism and ethical criticism of English literature. She has published widely in both translation studies and literature criticism. She is also experienced in translation practice. She is the author or co-author of two translation textbooks. She is teaching a diverse of translation courses to both undergraduate students and MTI students.
2008-2015: Huazhong University of Science and Technology PhD
1999-1996: Wuhan University MA
1996-1992: Central China Normal University BA
2014.10-present: School of Foreign Languages Huazhong University of Science and Technology—Associate Professor
1999,7-2014.10: School of Foreign Languages Huazhong University of Science and Technology—Lecturer
2012.8-12: University of York—Academic Visitor
- Narrative and Lyrical—Poetics of In the Tavern by Lu Hsun, Jianghan Forum. 2011.
- Stylistic and Translation of Coetzee’s Works in Proceedings of the International Symposium--Coetzee Study and Postcolonial Literature Research,Wuhan University Press, 2011.5.
- The Study on Poetic and Rhetoric of Fang Fang’s Works, Novel Criticism, 2010.
- An Analysis of the Theme of “Isolation” in Black Boy, Xian Foreign Studies University Academic Journal, 2008.
- A Review on Mary Snell-Hornby’s The Turns of Translation Studies: New Paradigms or Shifting Perspectives? Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2006.
- Author of English Chinese Translation—Practice and Methods, HUST Press, 2007
- Co-author of Technical Translation, Nanjing University Press, 2011.
- Attended International Symposium on “Coetzee Studies and Postcolonial Literature” held in Wuhan Nov. 2010 and orally delivered a paper “Stylistic and Translation of Coetzee’s Works”.
- Invited to talk at a panel meeting of international symposium – “Rise of World Literature” held at Beijing University in July, 2011. The topic is “Lin Shu’s invisible translation and the construction of cultural identity during the late Qing and early Republic Period in China.”
- Invited to talk at the “Translation Theory and Practice” International Conference held at Transition Research Centre of Hong Kong Chinese University in 2012,5. The topic is “Heinuyutianlu” and National Identify Imagination in Late Qing.
- Invited to talk at the Fourth Literature Ethical Criticism International Conference held at Shanghai Jiaotong University. The paper delivered is entitled “Self Truth and Ethical Transformation—the Theme of Confession in Three Works of J. M. Coetzee.
Awards and Honors
- 2013 Lecturer of English and Chinese Translation Series, a State Elite E-course
- 2009 Lecturer of English and Chinese Translation Series, a Sate Elite Course
- 2011-12 HUST Teaching Quality Second Prize
- 2006-07 HUST Young Teachers Teaching Competition Second Prize
- 2004-05 HUST Teaching Quality Second Prize
- English-Chinese Translation
- Chinese-English Translation
- Practical Translation,
- Basic Interpretation,
- Advanced Listening,
- English Conversation
- English Movies and Culture
- Chinese Language and Culture
Login and edit information
- 2006 HUST Elite Textbook Subsidiary Fund for “English Chinese Translation—Practice and Methods”（0121411002）, project leader
- 2008 National Social Science Fund for “Translation Teaching Studies for English Majors”, main participant
- 2012 HUST Innovation Project: Translation in the Late Qing Period and National and State Identity（2012WQN016）