Professor of School of Foreign Language
Academic Areas: Translation Studies
Xu Mingwu is a professor of translation and interpreting at Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). His major research interests lie in translation studies, interpreting teaching and foreign language education. He has been teaching translation and interpreting for nearly 30 years. And he has published extensively in the forms of books, book chapters and journal articles such as Chinese Translators Journal (1998/2000/2003/2006/2008/2012/2013), Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies (2013) and Across Languages and Cultures (2014). In his spare time, he has done a lot of translation and interpreting for the local government and enterprises.
2001.9-2006.12 Huazhong University of Science and Technology PhD
1988.9-1991.5 Huazhong University of Science and Technology MA
1983.9—1988.7 Huazhong University of Science and Technology BA
2003.7-present Huazhong University of Science and Technology – Professor
1997.7-2003.6 Huazhong University of Science and Technology –Associated professor
1993.10-1997.6 Huazhong University of Science and Technology ––Lecturer
1991.5-1993.9 Huazhong University of Science and Technology –Assistant teacher
Refereed Journal Papers
- XU Mingwu, Tian Chuanmao, Commercial considerations: A reason for retranslating-- An exploration of the retranslation boom in the 1990s mainland China, Across Languages and Cultures, 2014, Vol15, No.2, 243-259.
- XU Mingwu, Tian Chuanmao, Cultural deformations and reformations: a case study of Disney’s Mulan in English and Chinese, Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies, 2013, Vol27, No.2, 182-210.
- XU Mingwu, Deng Juntao, Integrating Information and Communication Technology into Interpreter Training in China: State-of-the-Art and Prospect, Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics ,2015, 2, 220-234 .
- XU Mingwu, Liang Linxin, Flexible Aggression: Reception Strategies in C-E Translation for Global Communication of Culture, Language and Translation,2015,1, 58-63.
- XU Mingwu, Liang Linxin, Assimilation and Integration: Reception Strategies of Translating Chinese Culture into Foreign Languages, Journal of Jiangxi Normal University(Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition),2015,2, 125-132.
- XU Mingwu, Deng Juntao, On the Differentiation of Difficulty of Materials for Interpreting Teaching: From a Perspective of Functional Textual Analysis, Chinese Translators Journal, 2013,6,29-33.
- XU Mingwu, Bai Zhenyang, On Pragmatic Functions of Reporting Verbs in English Technical Reports ---- A Case Study of Times, Journal of Xi’an International Studies University XI’AN WAIGUOYU DAXUE XUEBAO,2013,3,31-34+85.
- XU Mingwu, Defamiliarization in Popular Science Titles Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages,2010,2,8-12.
- XU Mingwu, A Pragmatic Analysis of Interpreting Adjuncts, Foreign Languages and Their Teaching,2009,11,4-7
- TANG Fang, Xu Mingwu, A Study and Survey of College English Writers’ Self-construal, Foreign Language World, 2014,3,37-44.
- XU Mingwu, Liao Quan, On the Meaning Change of Nouns in Technical Writings with Middle-morpheme “s”, Chinese Science & Technology Translators Journal, 2009,3,52-55.
- XU Mingwu, Zuo Hongfen, Pressure-reducing Strategies in Press Conference Interpretation, Chinese Translators Journal, 2008,3,77—81.
- XU Mingwu, Wang Mingjing, Error Analysis for the English Translation of the Interpretations of China’s World Cultural and Natural Heritage, Chinese Translators Journal,2006,2,69-73.
- XU Mingwu, Metaphor in Computer English and Its Translation, Chinese Translators Journal,2003.2,71-74.
- XU Mingwu, Brief Introduction to Studies in Translating Plus Editing, Chinese Translators Journal,1998,6,30-32.
- XU Mingwu, Fan Weiwei, On the Translation Methods for Noun-compounds in Technical English, Chinese Science & Technology Translators Journal, 1999,3, 13-16.
- XU Mingwu, A Corpus-based Multidimensional Study on English Vocabulary for Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press, 2015.
- XU Mingwu, A Study on the Transmission of Information in EST on the Sentence Level, China Social Sciences Publishing House, 2007.
XU Mingwu, New English and Its Translation, China Translation & Publishing Corporation, 2003.
Awards and Honors
- Hubei Provincial Prominent Educator, 2013.
- Baosteel Excellent Teacher Award, 2010.
1. Translation Skills
2. Translation for Practical Purposes
3. Translation for Technical Literature
4. Interpreting Skills
5. English Pronunciation
6. Business English
7. Extensive Reading
1. Translation Studies
2. Sight Interpreting
Login and edit information
- A Corpus-based Multidimensional Study on English Vocabulary for Science and Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences Fund of Ministry of Education, (12YJA740084). 2012-2014. Project leader.
- Training on Pressure-reducing Strategies in Interpretation Teaching, Humanities and Social Sciences Fund of Hubei Province, (20090207). 2009-2011. Project leader.
- Study on Information Transmission in EST on Discourse Level, Humanities and Social Sciences Fund of Hubei Province, 2003-2005. Project leader.